We bring together the greater pottery community and strengthen the dialogs with it. We provide a direct connection between artists, educators, collectors, curators, gallerists, critics, and many others in the ceramics field through narrative storytelling and personal interviews.
SP fosters quality writing for artists in the field. We are often the first opportunity for many artists to be published, and frequently give artists the chance to have critical, editorial feedback about their writing, cultivating individual authorial growth through the process. We are an educational provider of new information to the field. Our journal sets the standard for autonomous authorship. We are the only journal in the ceramics field that publishes in-depth discussions and intellectual criticism. We champion connectivity among potters, a practice that began with our founding editor, Gerry Williams. Our emphasis on first-person narratives places the reader within the studio of the artist. We believe our journal is a form of art – in and of itself.
Goals and Growth
- A self-sustaining writers' honorarium fund
- A full-time executive director
- A professional headquarters that will accommodate our staff, back-issue inventory, print archive, and library
- Increased membership and membership connectivity
- A consistent internship program
- A full-color journal, and increased page count
- Further development of our website and archive